Monday

B. Dalton in Belmont, MA

Received Monday, December 15, 2008
nanny sighting logo I am a nanny and I saw a nanny. I am a really good nanny and I saw a nanny that left me petrified. Let me describe this nanny to you. She was medium height, black, with an orange colored tangle of braids piled on her head, she was wearing black sweat pants, a black sweat shirt and a red and white striped shirt under the sweatshirt. I think her shoes were athletic, but I don't remember the specifics. Her face was pretty normal, her eyes were a little buggy and her eyelashes were straight. Her nostrils were kind of flared but probably because she was angry and upset. She was angry and upset with a little girl that was a total doll. The reason she was angry and upset at this little girl was that she wasn't staying by her side. The nanny expected this little girl who was about two and half to stand right by her as she looked at books in the sports section and the biography section of B. Dalton. I don't know why she took so long, but she was examining the books real thoroughly, like opening them and reading parts. If you can imagine, this is hard for a young child to stand by and do nothing which is what this nanny expected. The little girl was wearing a cream colored button up sweater under an orange ski style jacket and black pants. The little girl was white, with brownish-blonde hair that was unkempt, light eyes and skin. The little girl was singing and was shushed. She was humming and was grabbed harsh by the arm and told to "keep it down" She was humming and the nanny said, "stop already". She was tracing the patterns of the books with her finger and the nanny told her to stop touching everything. She was peeking around the aisle of the bookstore and the nanny grabbed her by her hood and yanked her real hard. I mean she yanked her in a way that made me think of whiplash. The little girl kept asking to go to the kid's area and the nanny kept saying, "in a minute, in a minute". The little girl said, "I just want to see the kid's books" and the nanny said, "in a minute". The nanny finished her selection process and headed to the register to pay. The little girl said, "what about kid's books". The nanny shouted, "maybe if you didn't wine so much we would, but you did, so we won't". Or something like that. You could tell when the nanny said it that she thought she was real sharp as if people overhearing her would think she was clever. That poor little girl just had her head hung low. The nanny didn't even hold her hand on the sidewalk or as they crossed the street to the parking lot. This was a pretty bad nanny. I hope the parents of this little girl recognize there nanny or someone does. She shouldn't be working with children and she definitely shouldn't be getting a bonus. I hope she doesn't have her boss's fooled.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

That just makes me so sad. There are caretakers out there who really care for the charges....why settle for anything less? I hope someone recognizes this child and tells the parents. She needs to learn to have her needs met, and not be blamed for other people's needs not getting met.

Anonymous said...

What's B. Dalton? I thought OP said this happened at Barnes & Noble?

What a horrible nanny. I'm surprised that in front of so many people, nobody said anything. Around my area, I can't tell you how many times a mom or nanny was cross or mean to a child and a stranger would step in. Usually they are kind when approaching, and they tell them they should take it easy on the kid or something. I know in this day and age it's not a good idea to do that, but if you're non-confrontational, why not? Somebody needs to speak up for the child, and give them a voice.

Anonymous said...

Barnes and Noble is in my neighborhood,on harvard st in brookline. I shop there often but they are the same as B Dalton. My cards work both places. Same stores, owned by same people.

Anonymous said...

Thanks, OP!

Justine said...

It still surprises me that so many of these witnesses don't mention what they did to step in and help the child.

Anonymous said...

Why should an eyewitness step in? Maybe one of the parents should be taking care of their kids instead of this nanny who is unqualified to be a caregiver. I mean, what did you have children for? So they could be watched over by some bug-eyed woman who treats your kids like crap? Wake up people.

Anonymous said...

How can you be sure this was a nanny? This is the 21st century, people can be related even if their skin tones are different colors. I think it's dangerous to assume that a black adult with a white child must be hired help.