Sunday

Nanny Loathes The Inconsistency - By Heather

Received Sunday, November 2, 2008. - Rant
When my I joined my family for dinner out and was enjoying a french onion soup, my employer taught me that the proper way to eat soup is to dip your spoon away from your body. During the same meal, she blew her nose..on her napkin...and then unfolded the napkin briefly to examine the discharge before returning the napkin to her lap. I said nothing.

When I took this job, my employer stressed to me the importance of making healthy meals. I was in charge of grocering and purchased healthy meats and vegetables which I dutifully prepared. After the first week, my employer informed me with hands on her hips, "X is four years old, he's not going to eat broccoli without a cheese dip on top". She also balked at the grilled chicken I made and suggested that the next time I try rolling chicken breasts in flour and frying it, "you know", she said, "give him something he can eat".

My seven year old charge got in trouble at school for saying something unkind about another child. Her mother exasperatedly told her, "X, you know better than that. If you don't have something nice to say about someone, don't say anything". She then took away her PS3 for a week. A half hour later, I was helping the seven year old take pictures of her puppy while her mother was on the phone talking in detail about one of the seven year old's close friend's mothers who had some plastic surgery done and now had cat eyes. My employer suggested to her friend on the phone that the poor woman was just competing with all the 'waitresses on wall street he schtoops on his lunch hour".

Two weeks past, my seven year old charge went through her toys looking for some toys to give away having heard about an upcoming toy drive. Her mother stood at the door of the playroom and asked her "what all the racket was". After the seven year old explained what she was doing, her mother/my employer announced, "You're not giving any of this stuff away, X. This stuff costs money". The next Monday, my employer left me a note instructing me to photograph a pile of toys that she had compiled in the playroom. Following that, she left me two type written pages about how to put the stuff on ebay. On Ebay! Did I mention that I work in a home that was purchased two years ago for six million dollars?

A month ago, my employer asked me to take her daughter shopping for boots. We came home with three pair. One pair were a reddish brown suede and came to just below her knee. My employer looked at the boots and said, "Oh for the prostitute in training..." and wrinkled her nose up with disgust. Yet on Halloween, she helped her daughter dress up as a sexy devil. A sexy seven year old devil? Sexy?? Red tights, red long skirt with slit....

I am slated to start work at 830 every day. I work for a SAHM. I arrive at work most days between 825-830. On the rare occasion, I arrive between 830-835, Each time that has happened, my employer greets me by staring at the clock. Yet, although I am working for a stay at home mother of two, with a full time housekeeper, mind you- she is hard pressed to let me out the door by 5:30. She becomes instantly frazzled and starts running around like a chicken with her head cut off. If only she had done something during the previous eight hours to ready herself for that impossible 45 minutes between the time I, the nanny, leave and her husband returns exhausted from his day of work.

My employer has me give the youngest a bath. It still works in to our day that I have time to do this, usually in the morning. My employer is adamant that rain or snow or sickness never impede my ability to get the three year old bathed and dressed. Yet, I will return from the weekend to find that the child has not been bathed all weekend.

When I began this job, my youngest charge was sucking on a pacifier. It was one of the first child related questions I had for the employers, "do you have a desire to get X off the pacifier". I had asked and she, my employer had assured me, "yes, we've been working on it. Our last sitter wasn't so good with that sort of thing, but we're counting on you to be consistent. Okay, that I could do. And did. But every Monday morning it is a screaming piss fight to separate X from her "bubby".

Can I live with the inconsistency? I do. I make more than any of my nanny peers and have a decent schedule. Complaints? I have a few. I will leave you with one of my biggest complaints. As the nanny, I take either child anywhere they need to go, I am home when flowers are delivered or when the cable guy comes. My employer is very generous when it comes to tipping, but she doesn't believe in leaving money for me, the nanny, to tip service people. This includes when I take the seven year old to get her hair cut. Why? My employer answered my query with this, " when I tip someone, they appreciate it, they know it is coming from me, but what good is it for you to hand out my money?" Do you know how awkward I feel when delivery people come and go? They arrive at this luxury home on a lake and get nothing. Frustrating. Indeed.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm surprised there are so many rants this week, but it is healthy to get it off your chest. I know nannies must put up with so much crap, especially if they work with a SAHM. I have a PT nanny that helps me out because of my health problems, but I definitely give her space. OP, I really liked your post!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

I had similar problems to these working for a family who had a baby. One morning after arriving, I put the screaming 4 month old back in her crib for a 30-minute nap, where she instantly fell asleep, obviously haven not gotten enough sleep, thus the crankiness. The mom chose that morning to do a pop-in, BURSTS in the door, and shouts (literally), "WHERE IS SHE?!" After a lengthy conversation about how if they wanted her to be stuck in her crib all day they would have put her in a day care, Mom left. The next morning when I arrive, I apologized again, saying I nearly always followed the schedule. She responds by saying, "That's ok. Oh, and she's cranky this morning, so maybe just let her sleep in my bed for an extra hour."

....

And a million other things like that, so I feel your pain!

Anonymous said...

what the hell does bad spelling have to do with a post you moron. i cant believe you took the time to write such crap

OP: wonderful post, seems like you have a good job with a boss that is having control issues. If you cant take it any more when the time is right, make the right choice and leave, find another job.

Anonymous said...

oh shut up, anonymous!

Anonymous said...

The longer you stay in this job, the more miserable you will be. Trust me when I say if you tough it out, nothing good will come of it. You might be thinking "but I need the reference!"

If you stay, someday you'll be so burnt out/frustrated/insulted you'll quit and SAHMdevil will be so insulted, you won't get your reference anyway.

I've stayed in jobs I was so miserable in, and treated so badly because I either thought I needed the reference, which I have never gotten. Both employers were so mad I had the nerve to quit on them after two+ years, they refuse to speak to me.

Or you might think, "the children! I can't leave the children!" This is hard one too, but really, those kids lives are already screwed, they have to live with this woman. There is not much you can really do with all that inconsistantcy.

The tipping thing would be the straw that broke the camel's back for me. That is inconsiderate and rude. I would tell the delivery people you are sorry but your employer doesn't believe in tipping. They'll remember her and her huge million dollar home :)

You sound like you are a great nanny, and there are employers out there who would be lucky to have you. This woman is not one of them.

Anonymous said...

I don't see any misspellings. Anonymous was an idiot.

Anonymous said...

I feel for you OP. I actually thought your post was kind of funny until the no tipping issue. I can't stand people who take advantage of service people, who depend on their tips, and especially someone so privileged.

Molly said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Ugh, I don't know why I come on here and read things like this; it's depressing. Reminds me what kind of asses are out there. It must be so frustrating for this nanny to deal with this clown.

Anonymous said...

Well, only you can decide if being stuck home all with a freakishly selfish and hypocritical woman is worth the extra money you earn.
If the pay is really good, personally, I might vent to others from time to time and then just suck it up.

If I were you I would definitelty pass your boss's tipping philosophy on to HER service people as they stand there, untipped. Say, "I'm so sorry that I haven't a tip for you. I have discussed the issue with my employer and she says that she doesn't care to supply money for tips unless she is there in person to receive the gratitude herself, since it is her money and not mine. I'm so sorry. I feel terrible." Lets see how "grateful" they are next time they see her.

Two small points:
1) You can't be late to work and think its OK, even if she is a SAHM.
and
2) You have to bathe the child every day, with a smile on your face, even if she doesn't do it on the weekend, because its part of your job description.

Anonymous said...

My aunt is a nanny and she made bank working for this one family and she could not stand the parents but LOVED the little girl. Therefore, because she was paid well she kept the job. I think you should suck it up if you are paid well.

Granted, my aunt has a family of her own to provide for and was allowed to bring her little girl to work with her, so more reasons to suck it up. but hopefully you can get through this and look at it as a job for now and maybe start looking for other families to nanny for making the same or better wage even!


good luck!!

Anonymous said...

I worked for a woman like this once. I ended up leaving, couldn't stand it anymore. She needs to find someone more like her if she is a SAHM. Too much conflict of personality and there is nothing you will be able to do about it. Find a better position for yourself before you go nuts. Your post was well written by the way.

Anonymous said...

Good luck with you, OP. If you stay, maybe you'll give those kids something more valuable than their mom can offer. But I don't know if I could go on without somehow kindly pointing out to mom that she's a bona-fide nutjob, lol. Great post!

Anonymous said...

Oy...yes, this sounds like a job I've had. So annoying. The problem is that it's a sahm so she's always there. I don't know, it's not worth you living life in irritation, I would start looking for another job. There actually are good employers out there. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

well...i personally would feel offended by the way the mom is acting. the fact that she's a hypocrite would annoy me, but mostly i just don't do well with criticism, like the boots for example.

but if this stuff is just annoying and doesn't really hurt your feelings i would stay. only you know how much you enjoy your job on a daily basis.

goddoesn'tevenhateidiotslikeyou said...

OP, sounds like your employers only know how to communicate via mouth fart. I would respond in a way they can understand. It might go a bit like this: 'Pffffft.' 'FAAAAAAART.' 'Tooooooot.' Peeeeeeeet?'

I think you may just be having a communication break down. A simple conversation should 'clear the air'.