Tuesday

Questions About A Pay Raise

Received Tuesday, October 7, 2008. - Perspective & Opinion
Thanks in advance for taking the time to read/respond. My question is in reference to a pay raise. I have worked for this particular family since June 2007 (about 14 months). When I was hired, their little boy was 18 months and she slept for almost half my workday. While she was asleep I tidied things but I was mostly free to use that time however I liked. I was hired at $90/day which worked out to be approx. $10/hr. before taxes. It was bliss.

Fast-forward to now:
My 1 year anniversary of working for them came and went in July with no recognition. I know it is not that they forgot because I bought a present for the little boy and they thanked me for it. About three weeks after the 1 year anniversary, the mom had a new baby girl. She said we would discuss the pay raise for the additional child when she returned to work from maternity leave (she took three months leave). While she has been on leave, I have been paid my regular salary but only working about 25-30 hours per week. Mom is returning to work part time in 2 weeks and full time Nov. 5th.
If it helps, I live in the Phoenix, AZ area and the family loves me. I don't think that they would debate that I deserve a raise. Dad is a lawyer and makes around 100k, mom works in sales and I'm not sure what he makes. They have one car payment and I would say their house is upper middle class. It's not super wonderful but it's a nice house.

Here are my Questions:
What is the appropriate pay raise when a new baby is born? What is the appropriate pay raise now that I am actually working more hours during the day (the little boy is awake when I get there and naps maybe once a week)? What is the appropriate pay raise for having been with a family for a year and a half with no raise so far? Can I ask for a raise for both the child and for having been with them for so long? My main concern is that I want to be paid what I deserve but also I don't want the family to think I am taking advantage of them or asking for more money than they can afford to pay.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

I am in the same situation I asked for $ 50 a day for the baby for 8 hours I didn't feel guilty because infants are demanding and good care is hard to come by
go for it

4:47 PM
RE-POST for Anonymous

kathleencares said...

In my opinion, you should be getting paid at least $15/hr with the additional child. It is also completely reasonable that you would ask for a raise after being with the family a year; I honesty don't think the family will think you are taking advantage of them.

I think it's better to have an hourly rate rather than a daily rate, because then you will be paid for the extra hours you are working. Not sure if the parents would be open to that, but it's worth asking.

You might also talk to some other nannies in your area who are responsible for 2 kids and ask what they are making. The going rate for two kids where I live is around $20/hr, but I'm in San Francisco where the cost of living is much higher - not sure what the going rate in AZ is, but I'm assuming $10/hr is way too low!

Anonymous said...

I agree, I think $10.00 is too low to begin with.

Anonymous said...

By not giving you a raise in over a year, they have essentially lowered your salary. The cost of living goes up, and if your salary does not, you wind up making less than you originally did. You totally deserve a raise! I would ask for at least another $4-6 more per hour for the extra child and a cost of living increase. Good luck and keep us informed!

Anonymous said...

Look on line for agencies or nanny organizations in your area to get an idea of local rates. Ten seems low to start with, but if that is fair for Phoenix, then I would guess the second child increase would be to $12. In addition, you should get at least a cost of living increase of 3% per year. That isn't even really a raise.

Naps don't factor in when it comes to salary. You were lucky to get some down time, but that is a perk you can't expect to last forever.

As for your employer's income, etc., that is not your business. You ask for what is fair, and what you deserve. You don't ask for an arm and a leg if they are billionaires, and you don't subsidize their living beyond their means if they are broke by working for peanuts.

Good luck!

Anonymous said...

I definitely think you deserve more, not only because of the new baby but also because you have worked there for a year. I would say $15 an hour is not too much to ask for.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Please do not delete my post above!
I forgot to put my name.
Thank you!!!!

Anonymous said...

Don't think that because the baby slept a lot, you should have been paid less. Responsibility is responsibility....NO EXCEPTIONS!! A big pet peeve of mine as a nanny is when parents try to pay me peanuts...because they say the child will be sleeping. When if someone were to break in? Or a fire? Earthquake? It's not like the nanny can put on her iPod and just chill out, she needs to have her ears and eyes alert at all times. When if a sound outside scared the child and they woke up? Or how about a nightmare?
Anyway, if you didn't call in sick too much, or you weren't late a lot, then you have had plenty of time to establish yourself with this family and show them what a valuable asset you are to them. It would be nice if they offerend you a raise, but since they didn't, then go ahead and ask. If it is awkward talking about money face-to-face, then you can always email. I don't know what the going rate is for AZ, but I live in SD and for two children, $12-14/hour would be good for two children. Also, considering that you will also have an infant, I think you could even command $15-16 since infants are hard work!

1:55 AM
RE-POST FOR ANONYMOUS

Anonymous said...

Hey everyone,
thanks for you advice so far. I totally agree with everything that has been said, but I'm just concerned...

If I ask for 14-15/hr., do you think that will come off as sounding greedy? And what if they just flat out say no?

Anonymous said...

Op, you are right to worry about parents saying no. I have no idea what the typical rates are where you live but you need to research that first before talking to the family. What matters most is what they would be paying for 2 kids if they were hiring a new nanny. If it's $15, then you can certainly ask for $15, but if it's $10 - consider yourself overpaid for the last 1.5 years and ask for a 5% raise to compensate for incresing cost of living.