Wednesday

Nanny Needs To Reduce Schedule For Bar Exam

Received Wednesday, September 24, 2008. - Perspective & Opinion
I have a question about revising my work schedule or giving notice. I have been a nanny to a wonderful family with one baby girl for the past 3 months. They have been beyond fantastic to me - although the pay is decent, they give me great perks - free shoes & athletic gear (they both are execs at a shoe company), take out lunches once or twice a week, ability to bring my daughter to work during school holidays, expensive b-day presents, etc.

When I interviewed with them, we agreed on a commitment of at least 6 months-1 year. I am a law school graduate, who has never taken the Bar exam to get licensed to become an attorney. (Although I graduated 4 years ago, after a separation from my ex-husband, I decided that I didn't want to work in a corporate law environment working 60+ hours a week, and preferred returning to nannying so that I could focus on helping our daughter during the transition.)

However, for financial and family reasons, I would like to take the Bar exam in February. Ideally, I'd like to continue to work for this family, since we all love each other, but reduce my schedule to 2-3 days a week from December - February. Then in March, I'd like to go back to full-time with them until I find an attorney job, which could take 6 months or longer. If they agree to my ideal plan, then they'd need to find a temporary nanny to work 2-3 days a week during the 3 months that I would be studying.

So, my questions are: How do I approach this issue with them? Does it seem like it would be asking too much of them to get a temporary nanny in order to help me out and then take me back full-time until I find an attorney position? Also, given that December is months away, when should I have this talk with them?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Victoria Anne said...

If the relationship with them is as strong as you say it is, why not help them find the temp nanny? Also, I wouldn't beat around the bush. Tell them now, they will respect you more for being upfront.

Anonymous said...

You sound really nice, OP! This family does too. Just tell them exactly what you told us, I'm sure they'll understand.

Good luck!

:)

5:08 PM
RE-POST for Anonymous

Pick a moniker please!

Anonymous said...

I think that you should tell them soon. Be upfront with them and tell them that you are starting to think about your future and taking the Bar. Explain to them that while nothing has been decided you would like to still work for them and would like there help in finding the best solution for everyone.

I'm sure that with good communication you can make this situation work! Good luck, and good luck on the Bar!

Anonymous said...

OP Good for you. Which state are you planning to take the exam in? Because some states' bar exams are a bitch to pass at all...even right out of law school. With four years separation between your studies and the exam, you are going to have to work all the harder.
I owuld tell them ASAP and begin studying as much as you can find a way to do.
The family may keep you, but, realizing that it is inevitable that you will leave to take your attorney job within a year or so, they may decide to go ahead and find a new full time nanny now. Don't be hurt if they do this. And, if they do, use it as an opportunity to find some kind of job that will allow you the maximum possible study time.

Good luck to you!!!! This sounds like a great step for your future.

And you don't have to work 60+ hours a week. There are all kinds of law jobs. If you choose to work in a government job (prosecutor or defender, etc.) you will work (9:00 to 5:00 and have all the same school holidays off that your daughter does. The pay isn't great, but the experience is...and you can easily take your experience into the private practice field one day when your child is grown and you have 60+ hours a week to offer an employer...if you want.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
kathleencares said...

I don't think it is too much to ask at all. If possible, you might offer to help them find a temporary nanny for those days. I think you should approach the issue much in the same way you wrote about it here. I'm sure they will understand. December is a few months away, but I would let them know now if you are sure this is something you really want to do. I'm sure they will appreciate your honesty and willingness to keep them in the loop. Good luck to you!

Anonymous said...

By all means, discuss this as soon as possible. Just be aware that for parents the first concern has to be what is best for their child. They may feel that the inconsistency of care won't be good for the baby. Good luck.