Thursday

Alicia Ashman Library in Madison, WI

Received Thursday, August 14, 2008- Honorable Mention
Good Nanny Sighting I saw your nanny This isn't a nanny sighting, but something I saw today that was wonderful. Shortly after I arrived, around 1p, I observed a young man with special needs and his nanny, or caregiver. The young man, tall, with dark hair and a green shirt, about 18-20 years of age, and his caregiver, a short woman with a cute bob haircut and khaki pants, were working on some sort of audio book when the young man got up and kept wandering around the library. The caregiver was very warm and loving, and when one works with developmentally delayed children and adults, a lot of patience is required. This woman was great with this young man, speaking in a calm, polite tone, and using praise frequently. As someone who was labeled "developmentally challenged" as a child, I loved seeing this interaction. I was a child who needed patience and praise, and seldom got both. Even though this sighting did not involve a child, it did involve a caregiver, and a loving one at that.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This gave me gooMy gosebumps :) I am glad there are people out there that can work with unique people! My grandma (rest her soul) worked with the handicapped and downs individuals and was great-- If only I could be HALF the women she was :) I hope yo have found the love you deserved as a child now, OP

UNIDAD said...

Great sighting, op. It's so nice to hear about the wonderful, warm, caring people that have the patience and love to work with kids/young adults that need a little extra patience and love in their life!

UmassSlytherin said...

Great siting OP, thank you!