Tuesday

Hudson River Park in NYC

Received Tuesday, June 10, 2008
nanny sighting logo Where: water playground on the pier at Hudson River Park (near corner of Jane St and West St) in NYC - Chelsea area.
Who: your boy is called Harry, looks to be around one. Your nanny is a big African-American woman with close cropped hair. (There is apparently also a brother but this sighting only involves Harry).
When: June 9, between 11am and noon.

What happened? Harry was sitting in the little water stream, his nanny close by, on the phone. Another kid dumps a bucket of water over Harry. Harry starts crying. Your nanny ignores him completely. Another nanny (friend of your nanny) sits down and eventually sort of half pulls Harry to her to sooth him, this didn't work. Harry continues to cry and is now so cold (the water is pretty cold there and yes it was a hot day but small kids do undercool quickly) that his teeth start chattering. Your nanny continues to talk on the phone, sitting less than a foot away from your child and continues to ignore him. I tell her he is cold and she ignores me. Eventually the other nanny manages to quiet him but his teeth are still clearly chattering, she then pulls him up and says something like "Let's go look for your brother" and drags him through the water to the other side of the playground, your nanny follows behind. I later see her with Harry on her arm heading to the strollers but I didn't see which stroller she went to because my own child turned in a different direction.

Please follow up on this, your child was ignored when he needed comforting and she also didn't react to him being very cold. She seemed largely indifferent to anything outside of her phone conversation and I wouldn't trust her to look after my kids. Your child didn't reach for her when he was crying which indicates he has not got a good relationship with her. Get her assessed by a friend you trust and take action!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Straight forward and to the point, excellent details. Thank you very much, OP.

Anonymous said...

Great post the nanny a real BITCH

Anonymous said...

I'm a nanny and my charge is almost 1 year old--and I can't imagine leaving her virtually unattended in or even near water! Granted, I know the OP said this was only a small water stream and I have not seen it, but children that young can drown in 2 inches of water. What if the poor baby had hit his head and passed out? It sounds to me like the nanny would not have even noticed. I hope the parents see this. Children as young as one should be watched like hawks near any water.

Anonymous said...

It also makes me wonder about the safety of the older brother--whom she was also not carefully supervising. No one should be sitting on the phone for any length of time while at work--whether they're a nanny, or work in any other field for that matter. This nanny is being paid to perform work, and she should be working--which is caring adequately for these two children. Plus, as another poster said, it's just plain dangerous to not fully attend to any child near water. And that poor child can get sick from being so chilled.

Anonymous said...

It's the same thing over and over. Too bad we can't ban phones from the people that misuse them by neglecting and ignoring children that are in their care.
I wonder how many have been truly hurt because of their inablity to just hang that phone up?

Liv said...

I'm just wondering, and please don't kill me for asking this, but how do you know the nanny on the phone was this child's nanny? Couldn't the nanny who comforted the child be the child's nanny? Like I said, I'm just wondering...

Why are you so white? said...

I second Liv's query...please enlighten us, OP.

Anonymous said...

MPP:
I would love to see phones banned in the playground!
Good post OP.
A Nanny

maggie said...

The solution to this is to start ripping the phones out of the hands of these nannies and chucking them in the nearest body of water. I feel so horrible for these children. Anyone observing can easily tell what is a brief conversation and what is an excuse to tune out to her childcare obligations.

On the same note, I am all for dumping any cold beverage on the next sleeping nanny you come across. Let the child go home and tell the parents or have the nanny explain to her employer how she came to be covered in 44 ounces of Diet Coke.

Anonymous said...

Lol, maybe a little too dramatic, but I like it.

Anonymous said...

Shame on this nanny! Poor little Harry!

Maggie, you're too funny!