Received Tuesday, May 20, 2008- Perspective & Opinion
In January, my good friend and I accepted a position with a very nice family in the suburbs where we go to school. The family had just had a new baby in December. The parents gave my friend and I each our own private room in the house with a private bathroom. The family provides 100% room and board for us. In exchange, they ask each of us to provide 20 hours of childcare per week for their baby. The baby is perfect. The job is very easy, it involves only childcare. Because my coworker is also my friend, we have been able to cover all the times our employers needed us and been able to keep to our school and social schedules. As the child has gotten older, I have enjoyed taking the child out to the parks and playground. She is too young to do much of anything but sit in a swing, but I enjoy getting out. As a result, I have met a number of mothers. One of the mothers has asked me about working for her this summer. She doesn't need me for the school year, just for the summer. My employer had already established this Friday as a day we would all sit down and talk about our summer schedules. This other woman has offered me $1,000 a week, which sounds wonderful. Then I have to consider that it is only from June 9 until August 28. The hours would be full time from 8-6 which is 50 hours per week. This would leave me unable to help the other family with the twenty hours I am committed to them. At the same time, this woman is not looking for a live in. I told her I really needed a live-in position and she suggested that we could work something out with the laundry room which has a full bathroom and plenty of space for a cot if I was interested. As a student, the $1,000 a week would be amazing. Of course, I wouldn't be able to take any summer classes and I would probably have to permanently quit my regular gig which works out nearly perfectly for my school schedule. My employer doesn't know I have an offer on the table. I just don't know what to do. I haven't discussed it with my good friend/coworker because I am afraid if given the option she could jump on it for herself, if I turned it down or even hesitated.I have three days to decide what to do.