Thursday

Wooster Street Playground in New Haven, CT.

Thursday, April 3, 2007
Good Nanny Sighting I saw your nanny I just wanted to report an AWESOME sighting Wednesday 4/2 at Wooster Street Playground in New Haven, CT. I was there with my boys and a guy (mid-20s) came in with a group of 5 kids from the Mustard Seed after-school program. He was so great with all of the kids, keeping an eye on all of them, breaking up arguments and giving one little girl who was having a bad day (he mentioned it) so individual attention, just letting her sit on the bench with him for a few minutes. He disciplined firmly, but kindly and never made a huge issue of anything (any misbehavior's were just what I would consider "typical" kids stuff). He played football with one of the boys and spent some great quality time with them. It was just great to see a guy working so well with young kids.

Description of Caregiver: Young Caucasian male, average height/ build, gray sweatshirt and jeans.

Description of Children: 5 children, all African-American, looked between ages 6-8 (younger school-aged), 3 girls/ 2 boys. I heard the names Jawan, Amani and Samonia.

They had no bags, stroller or vehicle. They did bring a bat, ball and football.

Just a great and refreshing sighting all around!

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great thing to hear. Thank you for sharing! It sounds like those kids were getting great care and having a wonderful time.

Anonymous said...

Nice post. Thanks OP!

kathleencares said...

What a nice story! I was just looking at a different blog earlier and parents were discussing how they would never leave their child with a male nanny/babysitter. I work as a nanny and I use a site called caresquare.com to pick up additional babysitting jobs. All the other caregivers on the site are female and I often wonder why I don't see more male caregiver profiles. While I don’t know any personally, I have heard many great stories of very loving/caring male caregivers.

Anonymous said...

I have boys-a male babysitter or nanny is great by me!

Anonymous said...

I bet he was hot

Anonymous said...

Nice post. I hope the parents, and the guy's supervisor see this.

Anonymous said...

I do have to say that it was almost mesmorizing. It just came so natually to him.

And yes, 5:15, he was HOT!!!!!

Anonymous said...

I knew it!
I have seen some guy nannies. Most are very cute.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this as a male nanny/preschool teacher myself i wish more people would notice us more and what we do, that we are just as great as female nannies, I get many comments like this and wows like ive never met a male nanny before etc. i just wish people would write about it

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting that - it's equally important to take the time to recognize the positive.

Anonymous said...

This post is a fake. No parent who names their kids Jawan, Amani and Samonia have enough money to hire a nanny.

I smell a rat.

Anonymous said...

How do you know the guy was a caregiver and not some pederast priest looking to have sex with children?

Anonymous said...

It plainly said the male caregiver was an after care provider, not a nanny.

Can you READ?

As for the names, what do you think all of FLAVA FLAV's kids names are? He has like 16 of em.
Surely the baby mamas get enough $ from him to get nannies.

Anonymous said...

I am actually pissed that 5:57 is so ignorant that they would claim this post is fake.

The Mustard Seed program is an income-based afterschool program and all of the children were African-American. If anyone who has responded here has ever worked in the inner city Jawan, Amani and Samonia are mild in comparison to some AA names that I have seen. I did fieldwork for school in an inner-city school where my students names included: Rayshawn, Chol, Tamika, Tanisa, Khaleigha, Lakishia, Thomaine, DeYonna, Tykwon and El-Issa, among others. I don't want to offend anyone, there are plenty of caucasian names that I find just as "odd" for lack of a better word, it's just that, like Kayleigh, Nevaeh, Emma, Grace, Michael, Caleb, Jack and Brittney are typical caucasian names, these were all typical AA names.

I also know that he was the caregiver because he yelled, "all Mustard Seed kids, line up!" He was young, college-aged. Being slightly older than college-aged myself, I've seen these kind of guys around. They're rare, but they're around.

Again, he worked at an after school program and he was only one of several employees that I have seen at this playground, which I frequent several days a week.

Crawl out from under your rock people, this is the inner city, not the suburbs you all are used to.

Anonymous said...

OP-It seems like the same anonymous poster always comes forth to claim most any sighting is fake. I smell a rat, too, whenever this particular poster is on the site.