Thursday

Brookdale Park Playground in Montclair, NJ

Received Thursday, April 24, 2008
nanny sighting logo On Monday, April 21st at around 11am I saw a girl approx 18 - 24 mo. with blond pigtails strapped into a stroller. I took notice because my children would never have sat in a stroller at that age in a playground. She was bouncing like she wanted out initially. The next time I looked I saw her fiddling with her seatbelt. The next time I looked I saw that she had been able to get herself out of the stroller but was still connected and now crying because she was unable to untangle herself. I went over and unhooked her and picked her up at which time I noticed her bottom was wet so apparently needed a diaper change for some time. That's when the nanny finally came over. She, I believe was of Indian descent, and had short hair and glasses. The girl had an older sister. I asked her what her name was and she said Kate or Katie. She said her little sister's name was Lizzy.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're brave. I would never pick up a child I didn't know in case the person watching the child thought I was up to no good.

It's sad to me that we have to think that way, but that's how the world is now.

The (too many) times I have found a lost/unattended and crying child out in public, I simply squat down to the level of the child and stay with him/her and talk to them, without touching, until the responsible party turns up. I do not try to take the child anywhere (like to look for the parent or get a security guard.)I am concerned that a parent of a lost child seeing me walking off with the child might get the wrong idea.

Too bad. I can remember being lost in stores as a child and kind people taking me around by the hand to look for my mom.

Anonymous said...

Mom
I know ... sad state.

OP
I sure hope you handed that wet little girl right into the dry hands of that Nanny so that she could get a clue.

Anonymous said...

I think it was a safety issue to pick her up. She was tangled in the buckle of the stroller and could have hurt herself. The other option would have been to leave her or yell for the caregiver. Better to unhook her first.

Anonymous said...

Unhook her first? Is that the only thing you can find wrong with this post? Geez, there must be SOMETHING wrong with every post, right?

I'm sure OP unbuckled her before picking her up. If the girl was still strapped to her stroller, OP would not have been able to pick her all the way up, now would she? Geez, people have nothing better to do than scan this blog to critisize people...

Anonymous said...

Good job OP for helping this poor child out. Did the nanny say anything to you when she came back? Hopefully the nanny changed her as well. One would think the parents, if they cared, would notice a diaper rash from not being changed enough and said something to the nanny.

Anonymous said...

3:46 you're an idiot. 2:23 was AGREEING with what the OP did, saying that it was right to unhook her and pick her up so she wouldn't get hurt. Get a clue.

Anonymous said...

It sound like a case of another nanny on the job for the paycheck.