Monday

Clark Field in Washington Township, NJ

Received Monday, March 17, 2008
nanny sighting logo Sometime between 12:30-1:00 today, (3/17), I saw a nanny, a large AA nanny with a grey sweatshirt and blue jeans, short hair that had been professionally 'set' playing with a child who was between 12-20 months. The nanny was sitting on the bench facing the playground, speaking with another nanny who was watching at least 1, but maybe 2 older children. The nanny seemed just fine, but for when she was playing with the child, and I know this could happen to anyone, but it was scary. The nanny was holding the child up on her shoulders, and over her back upside down. Keep in mind, I realize she was playing with the child, fully engaged and what I saw made me smile, until the nanny dropped the child onto the dirt. The nanny got up, ran around behind the bench and picked up the child who was crying a blue streak. Some of us rushed over to help her and the nanny turned rude. She was obviously upset with herself that she let that happen, but she was immediately assuring everyone the child, (a white female, dark blue cords, with brown shoes, Mary Jane style with a flower cut out and yellow socks) was okay before she could even accurately see if she was. We offered help and to call someone for her. She assured us that she was fine, loaded the child up in a lightweight push stroller that was very plain looking and near solid taupe in color. I can vouch this was an accident. I can vouch that the nanny was chatting with her friend, but the whole time engaging the child, pointing at things, speaking gibberish to her. It was a fluke and an accident that she fell and I, along with some of the other mothers were just worried that she might not tell her employers.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't see the point in 'reporting' this.

Was the child bleeding?

Did she need to be rushed to the hospital?

She may very well tell the parents what happened and was simply embarrassed over the fuss.

Anonymous said...

Can anyone recommend a reputable nanny agency in Manhattan? I work for a nanny agency in Northern New Jersey. I am interested in working in the city. May plan to move out their sometime this year.
Also, whats considered normal wages? I don't want to be greedy and I don't want to be underpaid as well. Presently, I do temporary assignments making anywhere from $13-16 per hour. I have been working for this agency for over two years now.

Thank you

Anonymous said...

I think this is snitchy. By the description the nanny seemed very responsible, so this report does nothing but embarrass the family by letting them know they're being watched and judged on some level. I like this site, but reports like this make me glad there's no site called "I saw your wife" where do-gooders can report that my kid tripped in the grocery store or snatched a toy in the sandbox, just in case I might not tell my husband. Have a little faith in people, for crying out loud, and MYOB as far as it's reasonable to do so. This report is just plain unfair.

Anonymous said...

perhaps the op had a bad experience. parents need to know when children are injured, especially if it is a head injury. if the nanny told the parents, then this report only reassures the parent what a great nanny she is.

Anonymous said...

OP
I think you made an excellent report!
You stated the case, without dramatization, and was careful not to accuse the nanny for any wrongdoing.

You merely suggest the way she took off, that she may not report the possible injury to the parents.

I find this sighting important because the same EXACT thing happened to me.
I came home late one night after being in the Hospital. The person watching my child NEVER said a word when they left. I checked on my child, and THOUGHT he was o.k.

The next morning I was shocked by the huge goose egg on his forehead. I took him to the ER immediately where they kept him for observation.

I found out later that day when I confronted this person that my son fell off the bed while jumping on it and hit the dresser.
Needless to say, I was LIVID!

My son turned out to be o.k., but had to be given serious pain medication -- at 4 y.o.!

Bottom line: parents should ALWAYS be notified when a child falls!!

Anonymous said...

So it is ok to drop a kid on its head and not tell the parent? What about a concusion? Maybe it isn't a big deal to some people but it sure would be to me. My one brother almost died beause he was dropped by another brother and he did not tell our mother. The little one had a concussion and had a seizure.! I hope the nanny told her employer and that she did not get in trouble for it, she was after all playing with the child and the child seemed to enjoy the play. Accidents happen but should not be hidden from the Mom or Dad.

Anonymous said...

I make it a point to tell the parents of ANY injury, no matter how minor. This is for the child's sake and my own protection.

I think this post is Ok except for the last part where the OP says she thinks the nanny might not mention it. If a nanny is excellent and other wise doing a great job, she probably would tell the parents. I would have left that part off.

Anonymous said...

i have a son with hemophilia...he would of have very serious injuries from this fall....so always report

Anonymous said...

I think this posting was one of the fairer ones I've seen the past week or so...
She didn't make assumptions about the nanny, nor did she judge her for being BAD or neglectful because of the accident. She made it very clear that otherwise, the nanny seemed great and attentive...
I don't think OP wanted to get someone in trouble...I don't think she was being "snitchy" either..just concerned...a kid was dropped...if the nanny told the parents then this reporting shouldn't be a problem...

Anonymous said...

I agree. I think OP reported very carefully, with no bias.

Good post.