Friday

Asphalt Green Playground in NYC

Received Friday, September 7, 2007
This occurred at 4:30 P.M. yesterday, (9/6).
The care giver had long red hair in a pony tail, a bright green shirt, faded jeans, and flip flops. Her charges, a girl about seven with light brown hair in a white shirt, yellow shorts, and pink crocs. She had a doll and doll stroller. A boy four or five with dark brown hair in a dark blue shirt with thin white stripes, shorts and dark blue sandals.
The two children were running around in the baby swing area, and opening and slamming the gate. Fearing that one might get hurt, I went over and closed the gate with them outside. (It is normally kept closed, as there are many toddlers in this small playground.) While I was pushing the swing someone else came in, leaving the gate open. They resumed playing with the gate and a third little boy who tried to come in got his hand slammed in the gate. He was crying very hard, and the woman, who was sitting on a bench reading the whole time finally looked up, came over, and told them to play somewhere else.
A little later, the boy went to her to say he needed to go to the bathroom. Instead of taking him in to the (nice clean) bathroom just inside the front door, she took him past the end of the bench and let him pee in the playground. She seemed annoyed to have her reading interrupted.
The children were old enough to play on their own, but certainly needed someone to keep an eye open. They could have left the playground and she wouldn't have noticed.
Her lack of concern for their safety and well being makes me hope this wasn't their mom!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't stand seeing people, nannies OR parents, that just stand around and ignore it while their children behave atrociously. I would probably have said something to the kids. And the peeing right there in the playground...OMG.

I saw this happen just last week with someone who may have been the mom OR the nanny, I couldn't tell. There wasn't a bathroom available, and the boy WAS potty training age, BUT there were plenty of out of the way spots up a fairly untamed hillside and behind trees, etc, that would have been better than RIGHT there IN the playground. To top it off, later on he had to poop and she had him squat right there in the dirt! She pulled out a plastic bag when he was done and picked it up like you would after a dog did the business, but still...They DO make portable training potties for this purpose!

Anonymous said...

And yet, OP, you said nothing. There is no way I would have let children play on the gate that way without asking who they with and informing their nanny, parent, whomever, as to what they were doing. This was dangerous not only to them but to other kids in and out of the area.

And I damn well better NEVER see someone letting (making) their child pee right in the playground like that.

Another coward just running home to blog the horrible ordeal in private and safety!

Anonymous said...

I was with my boss and her kids (my charges, duh) at a pool over this summer. She had taken the older one to get something to eat while I stayed with the baby in the snack area. Next to the snack area is a small grassy area. A mother (I assume) and her son, about 6, walk up the grass where I am less than 4 feet away. She pulls down her sons trunks and lets him pee right in front of me! I was horrifed and I said "That is disgusting. There is a locker room right there." She looked at me with this totally blank stare. Weirdos, we never went back and steer clear of the grass!

Anonymous said...

We are at the Asphalt Green playground or nearby Carl Schurz every day and I see little boys peeing on the playground regularly. There are bathrooms right there - I guess the moms/nannies don't want to send the boys into the bathrooms alone.

Anonymous said...

You can go into the bathroom with the boys at Asphalt Green. It is a small bathroom with a door you lock from the inside.

Anonymous said...

These may be the people who believe that children can potty train themselves as they natually know when they have to go. They just let their children potty anywhere outside. personally I find this practice disgusting. I saw a little program on TV regarding this.

Anonymous said...

OP
you should have helped wipe his butt after he pooped.