Tuesday

World Golf Village in St Augustine, Florida

Received Tuesday, July 31, 2007
Physical description of caregiver: Young woman/girl about 18 years old, give or take a year or two. She was tall, blonde, bad acne on her cheeks. She wore a turquoise thank top with a matching turquoise hairband (hair was tied back). Bikini bottoms that were black with colorful trim and a big hibiscus flower on the back (I assume they were Billabong or Roxy brand).
Physical description of involved child/children: A boy maybe about 7 years old, wearing grey baggy style swim shorts. Girl, maybe 5, wearing a pink one-piece suit with a Cinderella print on it. Both children had a dark complexion, very tan and dark brown hair and eyes. The boy had longer shaggy wavy hair (past his ears) and the girls hair was long and straight.
Address or venue of observed incident: World Golf Village in St Augustine, FL. This was in the Heritage Landing Community Pool area.
Date and time of incident: Tuesday July 31st around 10 am.
Detailed description of what you witnessed: I arrived in the pool area with my charge around 930 am and that's when I first noticed the three of them. The Nanny/Sitter had her cellphone in hand, texting away, occasionally looking up at the children who were playing in the sprinkler area. When I put my charge down in the sprinkler area and we started playing they walked over to the pools, the caregiver followed them slowly, still texting on her cell phone. I noticed the kids get into one of the pools (about 4.6 f deep, they appeared to be good swimmers) and the Nanny sat on the side, still with her cellphone in hand.
After about half an hour they came back over to the area I was in and the kids played in the sprinklers with a Dora doll. The sitter was still texting on the phone, and while not completely neglecting her charges, she gave them "yes" or "no" answers while never even really looking up from her phone. She seemed bored with her job, never a smile on her face.
When I got my charge ready to leave I noticed them again, sitting down next to where my stroller was parked. The kids were eating some snacks, drinking "vitamin water" and the sitter was sitting next to them texting.
I didn't think it was appropriate of her to be using her cell phone that excessively. We were there for about 2 hours and every time I looked up and saw her she was starring at her phone. No matter how good of swimmers these kids are, she should have kept a closer eye on them. She noticed me glancing at her several times but didn't seem bothered to put the cell down for a minute.
Description of vehicle, bag, stroller that may aid in identifying involved caregiver: No stroller or vehicle. On the table I noticed what looked like a canvas bag with food and drinks in them and 2 pairs of crocks underneath the table (blue and pink) and what looked to be the sitters tan leather flip flops.
I'm not sure if someone in my area actually reads this blog, but I'm giving it a shot anyway. In order to get into the pool area you have to have a card that scans at the door to unlock them so i assume the children's parents live in Heritage Landing.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

nannies should not be using peripherials during work just like it would be inappropriate for a dunkin donuts cashier to be texting away and ignoring the latte machine and the customers.

Anonymous said...

She sounds kind of young to be responsible for 2 children that age. Seems to me at the very least she's an Au Pair, and at the most, a neighborhood sitter. You get what you pay for.

Anonymous said...

11:31AM sounds right, and thanks for bringing up the Au Pair issue.
With all due respect to Au Pairs out there (in all my years as a nanny I've met dozens of them), the majority of them ARE too young to give competent and comprehensive care to their charges.
Most of them are fascinated by American malls, American money and American men.
The children they're supposed to be watching are generally not their first priority.
I know, I know there ARE exceptions and I know some of you are going to get all worked up and scream at me for what I'm saying (even though it's the TRUTH).

But, um...Mrs. Tiger Woods (former Au Pair), for example...'nuff said.

Concerned Parent said...

Parents please beware of a new babysitter in the south st augustine named Sarah Greeno. She babysat my daughter for a few months and I had full trust in this woman. But hiring her unfortunately was one of the worst mistakes I've ever made. The emotional damage that my daughter has now from being under her care will take a quite a while to heal. Please beware and use caution when browsing online for a sitter/caretaker for your children, so your child doesn't go through what mine did. Be especially cautious for babysitting ads by a "mother with 2 school-aged children"
That is one of many ads she has out right now. her. Be careful who you trust your kids with...