Tuesday

Supermarket in Watertown, MA

Received Tuesday, November 14, 2006
I was walking back to my car from the gym (which is in the same plaza as a supermarket) in Watertown, MA when I saw a woman packing the back of her Subaru with groceries. Next to her in his stroller was a little boy, no older than a year old, crying. If you live in the Northeast, you know how the weather is, and today it is pouring cats and dogs. I don't know whether or not this was a nanny or just a busy, over-worked mom, but couldn't you have put your kid in the carseat instead of leaving him out in the rain (with only a hooded sweatshirt for protection) while you put the groceries in?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It does not matter if this was a nanny or a mother.....how is this abuse? How long could it possibly take to put groceries in the car? I am a mother and I would prefer to have my child wet and in my sight at all time rather than in the car alone.You need to focus on more important issues.

Anonymous said...

Perhaps the child was made of spun sugar and risked melting in the rain.

Really, this is such a non-issue.

Anonymous said...

The child is obviouisly safer in the car then in the carriage! If I were the mother involved in this sighting, I would be p-o'd. But if I was the mother of the child and that was my nanny, I would suggest to the nanny that she give priority to the child. You know. Over the tv guide and Hungry Man Entrees.

Anonymous said...

Or how about the possibility that it was the mother?! I disliked your comment about the TV and Hungry Man entrees. So how about you stay home and take care of your own children. Most families I know don't allow the nannies to watch TV or eat at their house. And since appreantly you are bitter now how about implementing those rules to your nanny. The last family I worked for treated me like gold because they understood I was taking care of a most precious person to them. So trust me when I say I in return treated them and their sweet baby like gold. However I wouldn't do such a job without being treated kindly.

Anonymous said...

Just to interject a little bit of reason as a parent who has been in the same situation...

There is a problem with what to do after you've unloaded your groceries: if your kid is in the car seat then you have to leave them there to return the cart.

I don't think you could be arrested for leaving your kid out in the rain for a minute but you could probably get arrested for leaving your kid in a car unattended while going 100 feet away to return a cart.