Thursday

Union Square Park in Manhattan

Received Thursday, October 26, 2006
I was at the Park yesterday (Weds) around 4 p.m. with my daughter. There was a Hispanic nanny wearing a brown, quilted coat with black trim, short reddish hair and in charge of a little girl who was maybe 5 years old. The nanny was sitting on the bench watching the little girl who was climbing on the red domed, metal apparatus. I was with my 2 year old so I had to be right behind her as she attempted to climb. The little girl's leg slipped and her head whacked the metal bar with such a thud. I heard it. I asked her if she was okay and she got down and went running to the nanny. As she was approaching the nanny rubbing her head, the nanny pointed her finger at her directing her to return to play. The child didn't get within five feet of the nanny before returning to play. I took my daughter off the equipment and approached the nanny. I said "you're little girl hit her head pretty hard". I had to repeat myself five times. In the end, her response in broken English was to the effect of "she's fine". Now I go over to the girl who is plopped in the sand, repeatedly scooping up a hand of sand and letting it trickle from her hand and I ask her if she is okay. She says she is. I really wanted to touch her head to see if there was a bump there, but obviously that would have been weird. I told her that it looked like it really hurt and that I was sorry that it happened. I also told her to make sure she told her mother that she hit her head so her mom could have a look at it. I'm hoping she did. The little girl was wearing a baby blue jacket, jeans and blue suede looking boots.

No comments: