Wednesday

Boston Post Road in Pelham, NY

Wednesday, October 18, 2006
Short, African American Nanny leaving Dunkin Donuts this afternoon around 3-4 with a boy approximately age 8, 4 feet tall, brown hair, brown eyes, jersey style shirt and dockers style pants. The nanny left the Dunkin Donuts shop on Boston Road while engaged on a cell phone call. She walked to sidewalk. Crossed across the street on Boston Post Road, only looking back to see that child was following her. While crossing the street, against the light and out of a crosswalk, the child was a good fifteen feet behind her. When the nanny safely arrived on opposite side of the street, still on cell phone, she did turn to look at child who was still in the middle of the roadway. She snapped about four times in the air and the child hurried to the curb. Once on the sidewalk, the nanny continued on her cell phone conversation with the child trailing behind her. If you don't know the area, this is a very busy street and as an adult, I always use the crosswalk. Know that if I was crossing with a child, I would have his or her hand.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

but wait, what ethnicity was the boy?? surely this is important information, too.

Anonymous said...

can you see me yawning? you make it like these posters are doing something horrible for providing a physical description of the nanny. Get lost, creep. If she had said black nanny, white child- you would have jumped all over that too. Now are you sitting down? Brace yourself for this. There is a high percentage of black players in the NBA, so if you have to descrive an NBA player down to his physical description- it might come up.

Anonymous said...

OMG, the person with the catty response about race is clueless. This is a horribly busy street! I would never cross out of a crosswalk. I shudder to picture the child trailing behind an a nanny so detatched from her charge!

Anonymous said...

I don't know if the first response was catty or not, but couldn't it have been a valid question? I mean, I assume he could have been Asian or Black and that would help a parent identify his or her child. My child and her nanny are both Black.

Anonymous said...

I wouldn't hold an 8 year old's hand to cross the street. When I was 8 I used to take the bus all over the place by myself (in San Francisco). My grandmother taught me to jaywalk. Told me that only tourists wait for the light. You do have to do it safely but it sounds like it wan't a bad time to cross.

I live in Tokyo now and I see small elementary children (6+) regularly taking the train by themselves to and from school and walking all over the place by themselves.

Anonymous said...

a lot of people are hit and killed on that road. and more as you head to the bronx. pipe down if you don't know what you are talking about. this isn't la la land. it's new york and no one slows down so you damn sure ought to hang on to your eight year old. Or at least WALK ALONGSIDE HIM

rebecca said...

I know this area well.... it is not only dangerous to cross this intersection [trucks going into the bronx and back, etc.] but dangerous to pull a car into considering the speed most vehicles are traveling. This is often a local hangout for Pelham HS kids as well as nannies and moms with "errands" [time to kill] to run. Even if I were with a close friend/ relative, I'd make sure they were on the up and up.

Anonymous said...

That grandma should have been smacked upside the head for saying that and traffic was alot lighter 40 years ago than it is now. Seems like every week in SF you hear about ANOTHER pedestrian getting killed by a MUNI bus. I want to scream when I see idiots jaywalking with small children or running on ahead paying no attention with kids crossing busy streets.

Anonymous said...

What is up with all of the spam from idiot foreigners trying to ply us with loans and drugs? DIE scumbuckets, DIE!