Friday

Ancient Park Playground-84th street & 5th Ave- NYC

10/16/06 Update from anonymous source...the parents were notified of this posting on this site and the nanny was promptly fired.

Thursday, October 12, 2006
Your two boys, aged about 5 and 2. The older one was named William and goes to St. Thomas Moore school. Small school and should be easy to identify. He was in his uniform. The nanny was heavy set, black, with her hair pulled into a pony tail with tight reddish ringlets hanging down. I go there quite often with my son and his friends even though I am not a fan of that playground. William was playing in the sandy part of the park and the younger boy was just walking around on the concrete. The nanny was sitting near me on the bench and caught my attention when she started yelling at the younger boy to get back over to her and to sit down. He looked at her and she said again to get back to her and sit down. He didn't immediately come over to her so she went over to him, grabbed him by the wrist, pulled him to the bench and told him that play time was over. She said over and over "you had your time to play" and plopped him on the bench. Why? He wasn't doing anything wrong, he was really just walking around a very small area. She plopped him on a bench and he sat and was eating from a bag of carrots. When he moved, I mean MOVED, on the bench she said "I told you you had your time to play! Sit still!" She was trying to read from a book of some sort (maybe a cookbook from the school?). He sat obeying her. He tried to hand her the bag of carrots after he was done but she just ignored him. Finally, she took the carrots and threw them down next to her without looking at him or saying anything. He moved his position and again she said "I told you to sit!! You had your time to play!!". Then she threatened that if he moved again she would strap him in the stroller. She had a nasty puss on her face the whole time, like he was completely disgusted. He moved again, not trying to get down from the bench, but just moved and she said that was it and he was going into the stroller. She then said that it was time to go home and called William. He could not possibly hear her being behind a concrete wall. She called again, very angrily. Then she got up and went to the wall and called him again loudly. He finally heard her and came and she let him have it. She kept repeating that because he didn't come when she first called that she was furious with him and was going to tell his mother what he was doing. She kept saying that he was ignoring her cries and didn't come when called so they were leaving. She held up her cell phone and showed it to him and said to look at her dialing his mother's phone number. She said "look, I'm calling Mary" and then hung up. She then went on a rant about how bad he was and how angry she was to have to call him so many times. I am telling you she said at least 10 times "I am soooo angry". She told him that they would stay home from now on because he didn't come when she first called and no tv when they got home. Finally the younger on in the carriage said "why you angry?" and she said "William didn't come when I called him". At this point, a mother had come to sit in between us and turned to me and said "are you hearing this??!" She hadn't even heard the whole exchange! She said that she wished that she had the mother's name and could report this nanny. In fact, when her son came by moments later she gave him a big hug knowing that these kids don't get one during the day. I didn't even mention this site but knew I would post here. For God's sake, if you are the mother of William and his little brother make some changes!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can tell these are nice children. William held onto the stroller when they left and the younger one just sat, both very well behaved. Please take this woman out of their life...they deserve better. She doesn't want to be around children, believe me.

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is just insane!

Anonymous said...

That just broke my heart. As a nanny, I was initially appalled by this websight (and the "yo' fat nanny was eating ho ho's!" posts that followed) but I am so happy that there is a place for outraged onlookers to report horrible acts of neglect and unjust abuse (and I'm sorry, asking that poor child sit on a bench while she read was totally neglectful (she neglected to do her job, preferring to ignore the child and read her book )and abusive (what she was doing to both boys was total emotional abuse) like the one that occurred today.
I truly hope you find William's mom and other nasty nanny's take this as a warning that you are being watched so act right!

Anonymous said...

You fat nanny eating ho ho's? Why are you here if you are apalled by the website? Some of these posts are laughable but to me. Everyone has a different perspective and it is up to the individual parent to decide whether or not it is okay with them. Not the poster above. You are not judge and jury. So pipe down.

Anonymous said...

Hi poster,

I am a mother of a two-year old and live just blocks from this siting. We are looking for a nanny now and this post is so frightening to see! I strongly suggest that you go to the St. Thomas Moore School and drop off a note with your name on it and number. Explain the situation to the someone that works there and can identify the parents for you. This is what I would want you to do if you saw my nanny doing this. You will save two children from further abuse and help a family start to fix this problem!

Tell me what you descide please. I hope you do this ASAP!

:),

Anonymous said...

I am the original poster. I have decided to go to St. Thomas Moore and leave my name and number for the parents. It's a small school so they should be identifiable. I re-read my post and, as horrible as it sounds, I really didn't convey how bad it was. She was berating those children and they were afraid of her. She called for William and immediately got enraged when he didn't answer. She said to the little one "if he doesn't come now, we're never coming to the park again!" Again, there was no way for William to hear his name being called. She literally ran to the wall and was screaming for him. It scared me, never mind the children. William walked very slowly toward her and she was yelling at him right away. I could see the fright in his eyes and in the little one's looking up at her from the stroller. There is no reason for these children to be in this situation where they are totally vulnerable to this abusive woman. My friends and I sit on the bench and we are just in awe at what we see and hear daily. One of my friends is a nanny herself and she is often appalled. If you hire a nanny, a very simple thing to do is to have a friend, sister, mother, etc follow the nanny to the park and have her sit near the nanny and observe. It's so simple that I am amazed that more people don't do this. You'll find out how your child is really being treated, trust me. I see things every single day. Maybe not abuse, but just neglect or uncaring.

Anonymous said...

Yes, I realize that I am not judge and jury, but you seem to think YOU are...hypocrite.

Jane Doe said...

To the original poster,
Thank you for deciding to go to the school. And thank you to the commentator who suggested that you go to the school. Please let us know how it turns out.
Kindest Regards,
JD

Anonymous said...

Have ye anything better to do than sit around and rat on people ???
Get a f**King life!@!!

Anonymous said...

are you seriously kidding? rat on people? anytime someone is mistreating a child, they really need to be knocked to the ground and kicked. so, yah they should be lucky they are only anonymously referenced on this blog.

Anonymous said...

I hope the parents get the message, and that terrible nanny gets fired. Those bad nannies tarnish us all.
A Nanny

Anonymous said...

I am the OP again. I wasn't going to comment, but I will. "Get a life"???? I do have one...and that includes raising my children with love, among other things. I was at the playground with my children and that shrew was sitting very near me. I couldn't help but overhear the way she was treating those children. It was disgusting and to call it "ratting her out" is ridiculous to say the least. She was abusing those children with words and her body language...I actually thought at one point that she would start hitting them. If she had, I would have flattened her ass on the ground. You are probably one of those people who live next to a family where you hear the child screaming each night and do nothing, thinking you would be "ratting out" the parents. Keep living in your shell.

Anonymous said...

Dear OP, I think you are wrong about the person who said "Get a life". She is not just the kind of person who over hears children being abused and does nothing. She is the kind of person that abuses children and gets pissed at the thought that others might get involved. More power to you for getting involved!

Anonymous said...

Last post is on the money. You can tell by the tone and perspective. Who else would see protecting a child as "ratting" on people?

I just found this site but I will be a regular contributor I can promise you that!

Power to the people...er...KIDS!

It is heartbraking and this is the least we can do.

Anonymous said...

Update...the parents were notified of this posting on this site and the nanny was promptly fired.

Jane Doe said...

If you have more information, please let me know!
isawyournanny@cooltoad.com

Anonymous said...

I'm amazed at the lack of reading comprehension displayed by so many posters here.

Anonymous said...

what did I miss?

Anonymous said...

The poster who said at first she was "appalled" by some of the inane complaints here, like fat nanny eating ho-hos, went on to then say she was glad people could mention ACTUAL cases of abuse like this one.

People then kept making reference to her being "not the judge and the jury" as if they had never read past the first sentence of her post and understood her to mean the whole site was stupid, including the original post of this thread. She said the opposite.

Anonymous said...

Are we talking about the nanny who was "initially apalled"? My question is this- a lot of the posts on here are not indicative of actual abuse, but isn't that a good thing? Isn't that what the welcome post says? To get involved and do something if there is actual abuse? So we are left with a now world famous nanny (Bench in Stuy Square may actually be a landmark optioned by Hostess) and some other somewhat unsettling but on the whole not very dangerous things. As a parent, I want to know everything. I'm sorry if you think it's invasive but I do. I work 60 hours a week and have a nanny I adore but if you see her at a club on a weekend and see her, I would still want to know what she was doing. I know in that respect it is NOT my business. That is her free time. I will admit to a morbid curiosity about the person that is for all intents and purposes raising my daughter from monday-friday.
:(

Anonymous said...

I can see your point. I do think it's a shame that anyone with kids would have to put in 60 hour workweeks during the entirety of their kids' childhoods, but that's another topic.

And I think after reading a lot of this stuff that some of the items are valid concerns and it's great there's a place to post them (I just hope the parents get to see them) but a lot of the posts, and even more so, a lot of the replies, are really nothing more than idle gossip, much of it mean spirited.