Thursday

W. 23rd Street/ Crosstown Bus/ NYC July or August during heatwave

Received Thursday, Septmeber 14, 2006
W. 23rd Street/Crosstown Bus/NYC
Nanny: Indian woman, long black hair, black dress with flower pattern, about mid 30's, just finished shopping at Buy Buy Baby.
Little boy: about 2 years old, blue eyes, brown hair, noticeable cut over his left eye.
I was on the bus sometime in July or early August. It was during that terrible heat wave we had, when the temperature was about 105 degrees. I looked out the window at a nanny pushing a stroller (Travel Time stroller) to the bus, calling for the bus to wait. She was with another Indian woman and two Indian children. They got on the bus first and sat in the front. The nanny then tried to get the little boy out of the stroller by grabbing his arms and repeatedly pulling on him and slamming his legs into the bar in front of the carriage. She had him by the arms, one arm twisted behind his back, and just slamming him over and over into the bar. Of course, he was crying at this point because she was hurting him. She was very frustrated at not being able to get him out and threw him back down and tried to undo the seatbelt. She then went through the pulling process again. She still couldn't get him out and the bus was waiting, so she threw him down again and tried the seat belt again. She then grabbed him and pulled again and finally got him out. She put him under one arm and folded the stroller with another. She was not holding him, she had him under her arm like you'd carry a package. She got on the bus and sat down in the front, opposite her friend, the baby still under her arm. She then took him and literally threw him into the seat next to her. Had he not pulled his head forward, his head would had slammed into the back of the seat. For the rest of the bus ride, she did not once look at him or talk to him. She only leaned forward and talked to the other Indian woman and the Indian kids. The little boy sat like an angel and never moved or said a word. She never once said she was sorry for hurting him or showed any concern or care for him. I got off at 3rd Ave and they stayed on. I felt so sorry for this little boy and would love for his mother to see this and make some changes.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is physical. I so definitely would have said something to this nanny. Were you intimidated? I am not judging, just curious. I understand why you were not able to alert the parents, but why not say something to her?

Anonymous said...

Any other day, I would have said something. I had been out in the 105 degree heat for 3 hours, delivering Meals on Wheels, and had severe heat exhaustion. Strangers were stopping me asking me if I was OK. I was really just trying not to pass out and just make it home. I thought about what I was going to say to the nanny, but just couldn't physically get up. I really wanted to let her know that I saw the whole thing and that I thought it was disgusting the way she treated that boy, but again, physically I was completely drained.

Anonymous said...

That's a pretty lame defense.

Anonymous said...

Isn't it time we start using the picture taking feature on our cell phones to capture these moments and post them on this site next to your text entry?

Jane Doe said...

I had hoped that people would utilize their cellphones. It has yet to occur.

Anonymous said...

Aw, not to justify, but I can understand why you didn't say anything. It can be really intimidating. At least you're using this forum to let people know that this sort of behavior is unacceptable. At least you noticed something. Next time, if you can, say something to the nanny! You may just stop her by embarassing her a little bit by admonishing her in front of the other passangers.

Anonymous said...

I can understand why she didnt say anything, I have spoken up, and was then attacked by an angry mother, whom had just punched her daughter (we were in a medical clinic- waiting room,) with at least 12 other people including the staff they all saw this woman hit her toddler (punched with a closed fist in the tummy) the sound was sickening, I did not stay silent, but then I was attacked by the mother and the police were called. I probably should have just asked the staff to call the police, instead of telling the woman, that hitting her baby was abusive behavior, and asking her, how would she like to be hit like that. ( that is when she attacked) I was more angry at those that just sat there, and said nothing,while the child was being hit and then while i was being hit, a doctor was the only one that helped me. He came out of the back, after hearing all the noise, and restrained her until the police arrived. if i ever see abuse again, i will get information, and call the police immediately. But i will never stand in front of a charging bull again, cause that is what she was like, a big huge charging angry bull.