Friday

Denensmouth Ave, Central Park

Received Thursday, September 28, 2006

I was leaving the children's zoo are at central park and walking out on Denensmouth Ave. towards 5th Avenue at around five p.m. when I observed the following:
An older African American nanny in her fifties, black, medium height with a round type figure wearing a denim skirt that went just below her knees, white tennis shoes and a beige cotton shirt was walking ahead of me. She was holding a boy that I assessed to be about six years old by his upper arm. The child was wearing a blue polo shirt, khakis and was African American. He was crying as he was walking and the nanny continued to berate him saying,"you will learn you don't talk to me like that ever again, won't you?". The little kid could barely look up but she asked and asked until he answered, "no". And at that time she snapped, "oh don't you sass me". I can't imagine what this little kid did. Obviously he said the wrong thing, but let it go already. I have a nanny and she would never ever touch my child like that, unless you are jerking a child out of harm's way or holding a child's hand, keep your hands off of children!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Either your description is incomplete or you're nuts. It sounds like the kid refused an instruction from his Grandmother, who has a stricter philosophy of child rearing than you do. Children will often not stay where they are supposed to or leave when you ask them to and grabbing them by the arm is the only way.

Anonymous said...

If the child and adult were both AA, why do you think she was a nanny? Sounds like a strict grandmother to me.

Anonymous said...

Six years old is old enough to have said something really awful to a caregiver and to know better.

Anonymous said...

Are we reading the same post? I don't care what he said to her. Punish him But keep your damn hands off of children!

Anonymous said...

To the above post - are you OK? I hope help is on the way dear