Wednesday

Burger King on Fulton Street near Duffield in Brooklyn

Wednesday, September 20, 2006 9:30 AM
I am a nanny and was at the Burger King on Fulton this morning at 9:30 a.m.when I witnessed something peculiar. One nanny or mother was sitting with her little boy or son having juice and drinks when another nanny showed up and went right to the table. Both of these women had Caribbean accents & I would guess them to be Jamaican. The nanny who arrived told the woman sitting there that she would "be as quick as she could be and she would meet the first nanny at ballet class at 12:30". She was leaving a blonde, two year old girl with the friend. The little girl had a tiny pink duffell with toe shoes embossed on it in white. I thought this was peculiar because it didn't seem like the two year old knew what was going on which makes me think the mother doesn't know what was going on. The little girl didn't even seem to know the person she was being left with. I had been sitting near this person for ten minutes and she seems like a very lovely person. This woman was also really sweet to the little girl when she met her. I am guessing the nanny had an apppointment or something to get to during work hours. She probably works a long day and this was her only opportunity but I just hope that she okayed this drop off with the mother in advance. This little girl was going to spend three hours with someone she didn't know.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That makes me so angry just reading that! I would hate for my nanny to pull that kind of thing! At the same time, I know people who have nannies and even when they are home off of work, they still make the nanny work. Everybody needs an occasional window on a workday to take care of something. I still think if you are good to your nanny and respectful of her, she returns the respect to you and your child.

Anonymous said...

Here is where I could be comfortable saying I don't allow my nanny to take my kids to Burger King (or fast food). But then what do I really know? This creeps me out.

Anonymous said...

Michelle-why so defensive? All I know is I witnessed a situation where a child was handed over by her nanny to an individual she clearly did not know. I thought I wrote about it quite fairly- even calling in to question the tough schedules that some nannies work. You sound overly defensive and very suspicious. If I was wrong by what I saw, please let me know who I have harmed?

Anonymous said...

I am a Nanny and have had my "mom" arrange for me to watch a friend's child when her Nanny needed time off in the middle of the day more than once. It was nothing new to have a child I've never met thrown into my care for a few hours.

I don't work for that family, or in that area at all anymore because the parents were so oblivious, but this could just as easily be a case of parent as it is a bad nanny.

Anonymous said...

I am also a nanny for a great family , with whom i have been working for 3 yrs and when i need to take a few hours off for business my employers always allow me to leave the child in the care of one of my friends or another nanny of my choice. Because they trust my judgement.