Friday

Holiday Bonus Survey 2007- Part I

i saw your nanny holiday survey
Read part II of Holiday Bonus Survey 2007 here
Friday, December 21, 2007

1) Bonus this year: $1250
Your Weekly Salary:$570 for 38 hrs
Any Supplementary Gifts aside from The Bonus: personalized ornaments from my charge and some really nice bath stuff
Length of Time you Have worked for the Family: a little over 2 years
City, State and Country: Austin, TX
My family was so generous this year and I'm leaving in February to have a baby, they have been so great about it. -TX Nanny


2) Bonus this year: $0
Your Weekly Salary:$650 for 44 hours
Any Supplementary Gifts aside from The Bonus: In lieu of a bonus, I received a gift of Cello chocolate covered cherries, (approx $2.99) and a six pack of very cheap, repugnant candles that come in tin cans and seem to all smell like "new car". Approximate cost? Under $5.00.
Length of Time you Have worked for the Family: 7 months
City, State and Country: Harrison, New York


3) Bonus this year: $100
Your Weekly Salary: 350$ to 400$
Any Supplementary Gifts aside from The Bonus: 2 great photos of the baby
Length of Time you Have worked for the Family: 3 months
City, State and Country: Beverly, MA USA
I really didn't expect a bonus as I've only been here a few months...but it was a great welcome surprise! Along with a nice card that said that they were so lucky they found me and that I was such a great nanny.


4) Bonus this year: $1,800.00
Your Weekly Salary: $900.00 net after taxes
Any Supplementary Gifts aside from The Bonus: paintings from both children, professionally framed, 2 Giants Tickets (great seats), cashmere sweater wrap, bottle of fracas perfume and a really sweet card that acknowledged the contributions I made to their family this year noting I would be making $950 net effective January 2008.
Length of Time you Have worked for the Family: 2 years
City, State and Country: Brooklyn, NY


5) I am an employer and gave the following:
Bonus this year: $1500
Weekly Salary: $550
Any Supplementary Gifts aside from The Bonus: 1 1/2 weeks off, new phones, bracelet(approx $200 total in gifts)
Length of Time Nanny Has worked for You: 7 months
City, State and Country: New York, NY


6) Bonus this year: None
Your Weekly Salary: $240 (for 20 hrs/week)
Any Supplementary Gifts aside from The Bonus: $100 gift certificate, candle
Length of Time you Have worked for the Family: 4 months
City, State and Country: Seattle, WA, United States


7) I am an employer
Bonus this year: $650
Weekly Salary: $650
Any Supplementary Gifts aside from The Bonus: will give nanny coach wristlet and picture frame from us; small gifts from dc (that kids bought with their own $)
Length of Time Nanny Has worked for You: ft nanny with us for 4 yrs
City, State and Country: New York, NY - Manhattan


8) Your week salary: $680 (M-T family) $150(Friday's family);
Any Supplementary Gifts aside from The Bonus: FT Family: one travel with all paid expensive (any place in USA) for me and my husband,;PT Family: $100 Nordstrom gift card and one clutch silver bag.
Length of Time you Have worked for the Family: FT family: 4 months; PT family: 1 months;
City, State and Country: San Francisco, California,USA


9) Bonus this year: $1,000
Your Weekly Salary: $880 (before taxes)
Any Supplementary Gifts aside from The Bonus: None so far
Length of Time you Have worked for the Family: 2 years
City, State and Country: Atlanta, GA


10) From an employer:
Bonus this year: $500
Weekly Salary: $518
Any Supplementary Gifts aside from The Bonus: gifts worth $125
Length of Time Nanny Has worked for You: 3 months
City, State and Country: Seattle, WA USA


11) Bonus this year: $700 dollars cash
Your Weekly Salary: $700
Any Supplementary Gifts aside from The Bonus: box of figs, Ralph Lauren fragrance, 1200 count sheet set, micro fiber suede comforter, ride on electronic motorcycle for my 4 year old, photo frames with fancy jewels on them and a leather photo album with my family's name on it. My employer also gave my husband a "beer of the month" gift. I was pretty shocked, because although I knew they liked me, I haven't even been here 6 months yet!
Length of Time you Have worked for the Family: 5 months
City, State and Country: Armonk, NY

12) Employer, NYC:
Bonus this year: $1,000
Weekly salary $450/week (part time);
Any Supplementary Gifts aside from The Bonus: $50 box Godiva Chocolates
Length of Time Nanny Has worked for You: 9 months
City, State and Country: New York City
We Wanted to show appreciation. But nanny did not really seem that happy (no thank you).


13) Bonus this year: none
Your Weekly Salary: $200 (part time)
Any Supplementary Gifts aside from The Bonus: Barnes and Noble Membership, B&N gift card, and a restaurant gift card (about $25 each I think)
Length of Time you Have worked for the Family: 6 months
City, State and Country: TX


14) Bonus this year: $2,000
Weekly Salary: $750.00
Any Supplementary Gifts aside from The Bonus: monogrammed bath robe, spa lotions,
Length of Time Nanny Has worked for You: 15 months
City, State and Country: Bedford Hills, NY


15) Bonus this year: $8,000.00
Your Weekly Salary: $1100.00
Any Supplementary Gifts aside from The Bonus: Toshiba 17" laptop computer, Christmas sleigh gift basket filled with Dylan's candy.
Length of Time you Have worked for the Family: 5 years
City, State and Country: Westchester County, NY
I work for a wonderful family. The woman I work for is stunningly gorgeous and down to earth. She is a wonderful mother, employer and friend. I am touched by the family's generosity and not just during the holidays. I hope they feel as lucky to have me as I do to have them.


16) Bonus this year: $725.00
Weekly Salary: $725.00
Any Supplementary Gifts aside from The Bonus: no, last year I did get her about $400 of gifts in addition to giving her two weeks salary (then $1400) and she couldn't even muster a thank you. So this year, no gifts and one week bonus. I'm sorry if that's harsh, but some of us actually look forward to doing nice things for our nannies and spend time shopping for thing we think they will love in addition to their generous bonuses. And when it isn't even acknowledged, it's a giant slap in the face.
Length of Time Nanny Has worked for You: Almost 2 years
City, State and Country: NYC


17) Bonus this year: $500
Weekly Salary: $20 per hour, part-time, between 20-25 hrs. per week.
Any Supplementary Gifts aside from The Bonus: Novelty gifts including sperm on a rope soap, penis pasta, peppermint nipple candy, gummy penises and George W Bush toilet paper.
Length of Time you Have worked for the Family: 10 months
City, State and Country: Danville, CA


18) Bonus this year: $500
Weekly Salary: $800
Any Supplementary Gifts aside from The Bonus: nope
Length of Time you Have worked for the Family: 9 months
City, State and Country: Boston, MA
I'm guessing my bonus was "pro rated" to reflect that I have only been with them nine months.


19) Bonus this year: $675
Weekly Salary: $675
Any Supplementary Gifts aside from The Bonus: 13lb ham from the Honey baked ham company, box of french milled soaps and a pair of cashmere gloves.
Length of Time you Have worked for the Family: 14 months
City, State and Country: Chicago, Il.


20) Bonus this year: $2,500.00
Your Weekly Salary: $965.00
Any Supplementary Gifts aside from The Bonus: Two shopping bags full of gifts that I brought home and put under my tree. There are at least 7 things for me and two things for my fiance, who lives with me.
Length of Time you Have worked for the Family: 5 years
City, State and Country: Rye, NY

(Click here to read Part II of the survey.)

39 comments:

Anonymous said...

wtf? penis pasta? pepermint nipple candy? what kind of family gives that as a gift?!

Anonymous said...

I know, does anyone else think that is entirely inappropriate and grody?

#7-You live in Manhattan and your nanny has stayed with you for 4 years? Don't you think she deserves more than one week's salary? I would be pissed if I were her!

As for nannies not saying 'thank you', wtf is wrong with you!? Didn't your parents teach to you to show gratitude over a gift, even if you hate it?

Anonymous said...

oops, two to's was too many!

Anonymous said...

What is up with the people who don't even say thank you?? How do you not say thank you when someone hands you a gift? WTH?

i do daycare out of my home and yesterday, the parents of a little boy I take care of gave me a gift certificate for 50 bucks to a local store. I was pretty disappointed since I take care of this little boy 5 days a week all day long for the last year and was expecting more. but, I still said thank you and have written out a thank you card and mailed it to the mom and dad. It's just common courtesy!

Anonymous said...

I want to work for the people that give $8,000 bonuses

Anonymous said...

Oh by the way I am going to go by the name 9:14 now, since I caused such a stir on another post.

So that is how I will be identified. 9:14

Anonymous said...

914,
I gave my nanny a ten thousand dollar bonus this year. Last year we gave her 8k. It isn't as simple as going to work for someone who is willing to and can afford to pay someone an extraordinarily generous bonus, you also have to be the nanny that deserves the bonus. I've had six nannies. Only two of them was I ever extraordinarily generous with and only two deserved it.

Anonymous said...

Peppermint Nipples:
http://www.jojogadgets.co.uk/N2481-peppermint_nipples.jpg

Anonymous said...

I agree melamonk. If more people paid the good nannies what they are worth and not tolerate the bad ones there would be far fewer sub par "nannies".

Anonymous said...

#17 must have an Employer with a foul sense of humor, but what I'd like to know is if the Nanny thought it was funny?
Personally, I think it was crass and cheap.

I would be 'stupefied' if I gave out such a large bonus and my Nanny never even said "Thank you".
Good thing I'm a SAHM, lol.

Hurray! to the Nannies that deserved large bonuses and got them. Good for you!

Anonymous said...

Hey tx nanny,

I am a nanny in Austin and recently left my job. I've always loved reading your posts and have enjoyed reading about your family-nanny relationship. Are they going to be looking for someone to cover you when you leave in February? I have class T/Th but am free every other day... though I'm guessing they will be wanting someone full time, it never hurts to ask!

P.S.- congrats with regards your baby!

Anonymous said...

9:14
YOU would never earn a large bonus. The nannies who do are exceptionally kind and nurturing.

Anonymous said...

4:14
I take my kids to two different daycares: one two days a week and one 1 day a week and gave them a simple little gift and a picture of my kids. If I could afford a better gift I would. But most people here I guess don't really expect a gift if they run their own daycares, it would be nice, but don't expect them.

Anonymous said...

4:14
Unless you run a Daycare in an exclusive part of town - I can't imagine you expecting anything more than $50.00, because if these parents could afford more, don't you think they would have nannies? I think you sound ungrateful.

Anonymous said...

Nannies 12 and 16 sound like stuck up, immature, ungrateful bitches.

Need I go into my speech about how I worked in daycare and got many great gifts from the parents?

*shaking my head*

Anonymous said...

Thanks 9:50:) My family has actually found someone already and they do need full time help that's why I won't be going back, if it was part time I would try to make it work because they are great. I think there will be more families looking after the new year, I know the job offerings are a little slim right now. Good luck with your job search!

Anonymous said...

I am always amazed at people who receive a gift, any gift, of money or monetary value and are angry or disappointed.

Regardless of what may be 'industry standard' a gift of money is not required and should be appreciated.

I am a nanny and happy with my comparatively small year end bonus. I know what the parents earn and they cannot afford more. They use me as their afterschool nanny because their child is special needs and would not do well in a daycare. The private school the child attends is not paid for by the district and one of the parents entire salary goes to pay for it. (she had planned to be a stay at home mom) so the dad's slary is paying for the mortgage, all the bills and me. As I live in Northern Bergen County, NJ I could certainly work for a family that could afford expensive gifts and huge bonuses, but I would be hard pressed to find a family that respects me more or make me feel more loved and needed.
Since they pay me a very competitive weekly wage for the upper middle class to affluent area they live in, I don't focus so much on my year end bonus amount as I do my salary, being included in family functions, and being offered their home to stay in while ours was being renovated. These things are priceless.

Anonymous said...

I am in Bergen County too. Small world

Anonymous said...

10:00-That is great of you to do that! Remember that should you ever leave this family, another family will reward you for the good heart that lies within you!

Anonymous said...

I am the nanny from Danville who received the novelty gifts. Did I think it was strange? Not at all. I work part time for a wonderful family. The mother called me on my birthday (November) because I wasn't working. I had worked the day previous and she had said happy birthday and given me a beautiful leather jacket. On my birthday, even the father called me to say "I just wanted to wish you a happy birthday". Don't pass judgment because of the funky/fun gifts- this family is all class.

Anonymous said...

1102, those gifts are hilarious!! It must be so great to work for a fun family! I work for a great one but they really aren't penis pasta types. When my mom got remarried (I was about 10 and my sisters were 8 and 7) our nanny got my mom novelty stuff like that for her birthday!

Anonymous said...

#17
We are not familiar with your family, so as an outsider, and to most of us here, we would find your 'novelty' gifts strange. But if you have the kind of relationship with your Employer that she can do that without any embarrassment, and you found it humorous ... then more power to you! Personally, I couldn't tell from your post whether or not you found it offensive. I imagine the lot of you must be pretty close.

Anonymous said...

MOst of you nannies seem to have done well this year-kudos.

I do wish the park bench nannies would post their bonuses. I am ever so curious.

jennifer lecarlo said...

My nanny makes my life possible. She travels with me and my 23 month old, works flexible hours and just gets me. If you have a nanny who "gets you", who knows when to appear and disappear (to let my child and I have time together). This isn't a skill that can be taught, it's a greater connection. I'm so very fortunate and I'm pleased to recognize that even in comparison with generous employers, my wonderful nanny did quite well!

Anonymous said...

When I first read about all the penis gifts the one nanny received, I thought it kind of strange and icky.
But, admittedly, I do have certain friends with whom I would readily exchange such things, and we would all think it was perfectly hilarious.
Now that the nanny in question has clarified, it is clear that she and her employer are simply close friends who like to share a joke. Good for you, nanny. You must have a lot of fun working together with this family.

Anonymous said...

Jennifer- I totally agree with you. My boss and I have a connection, much like the one that you speak of! She also appreciates me and lets me know often! You sound like a great employer with a great nanny!

Anonymous said...

Those are the rarest sort of nanny/employer relations. They are the best for obvious reasons, but because of the intimacy involved; there can also be hurt feelings. When you are close to someone, you have more of a chance to affect them personally, positively or negatively. In every relationship. I am envious of my friend who has a connection with her nanny. And you are right, you can't train for that. You can't buy it. It's spontaneous!

Anonymous said...

I have the same kind of relationship with my nanny. Some nights we have my hubby watch the kids while she and I even go for drinks. She's wonderful and I wouldn't trade her for the world.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful Responses. I enjoyed the number of employers that responded. I am always interested to hear what the nannies think of their bonuses.

I begrudgingly gave my current nanny a week's salary. She has been incredibly unreliable since starting a relationship with a young male from the Bronx. Her days are limited. I would much prefer having a nanny to overboard on!

Anonymous said...

6:42
Instead of keeping your feelings pent up and becoming resentful ("I begrudgingly gave my current nanny a week's salary") ... I hope you will (nicely?) tell her that her behavior is unacceptable. If she doesn't change, then let her go. You need someone you can rely on, these are your precious children you're talking about. Her having a new man in her life, and suddenly through his influence is becoming careless on the job (because she may be in love?), will not get better by itself.
Good luck to you, I hope things work out.

PS.
I also love it when the Nannies get descriptive about their bonuses. For example, #17 ... we had no clue she liked hers!

Anonymous said...

I would love to post what I got but the presents were very unique and my boss would know it was me. I love the family and presents. I just don't know if she has seen this site, and how she would feel.

Anonymous said...

milwaukeenanny-You HAD a nanny growing up, and now you ARE a nanny? Never heard of that before!

Anonymous said...

We need a Nanny Union-
I never realized that she was a nanny until I became one! We were just a regular suburban Chicago family. My sisters and I were put into a horrible home day care before my parents got us our nanny, who stayed with us for 8 years.

Anonymous said...

well, i am very dissapointed, i spend a lot of money for presents to the family and i only got 200 dollars , not extra! just the 200 dollars for 2 days that i got off, nothing else, i go above and beyond my duties as a nanny, and i get nothing, i know we nannies should not expect anything but this was a huge slap in the face, i consider myself a good nanny and i love my charges, i am thinking about leaving this family.

Anonymous said...

Sorry 304, I wish they realized how much you do.

Anonymous said...

yeah, i am thinking about moving to san francisco and work as a nanny there, i love the kids but i also need to make a living, its time for me to go!

Anonymous said...

hey my nanny agency is in danville!

but i will be moving to seattle soon and the pay of the 2 from seattle kinda scares me.

Anonymous said...

hey my nanny agency is in danville!

but i will be moving to seattle soon and the pay of the 2 from seattle kinda scares me.

Anonymous said...

#16..

I understand that your nanny should have acknowledged your generous gifts more.. but maybe she was having a off day or was noting feeling 100% at the time.

Did you talk to her about it? If she has been with your family two years she must be doing something right..

Good Luck and I hope everything works out for you and your family!!

Best,
MASS NANNY